Friday, October 06, 2006

Who the heck is Lynn???


for the observant and discriminating guys among you out there....you might've noticed the name "Lynn" in my previous post, and you might've been asking, "Who or what the heck is Lynn?". well, I am Lynn and it is my nickname...it's the name i first heard called to me by people who are very dear to me...my daddy, my mommy, and my elder brothers....it is also the name i am still called by my family and my closest friends.
need proof? just look at the oldest photo in my album! this photo might've been torn but one can see clearly my daddy's writing on top...."LYNN AT 7 MO. (OLD...i suppose).
but why Lynn? some of you might ask....because among us Filipinos this name is generally a girl's name....and what has it got to do with my "real" name?.....well....nothing!...because Filipino nicknames do not have to do anything with the real name. a lot of Filipino nicknames are names that family, most often the parents or grandparents, give to a child as a sign of love and endearment. they may be contractions of the child's real name; the first word uttered by the child; the child's physical appearance; or just about anything.
in my case, the story goes that even before i was born, my mom and dad already has a name in mind for me...."Lyn"....because at that time they already had two boys and they wanted a girl...remember, there was no prenatal untrasound or allantoic fluid testing then to determine the sex of an unborn child! maybe, my parents' visualizations weren't very strong (since they just relied on the name that they would give the unborn child)....and lo and behold, they got another boy! but that didn't stop them from using the name that they both liked (pretty detemined folks, huh!)....so they gave me that name as my nickname....with an additional "n" though, purportedly to make it more masculine....according to my dad.
funny though, i grew up never feeling i had a girl's name for a nickname....i love my nickname....and i grew up thinking "Lyn" is for girls while "Lynn" is for boys. until now, i feel odd whenever i meet or see a girl being called "Lynn".....the quizzical looks i get whenever i mention my name.....i don't care, it's not my issue..that's their issue!!! hehehehehe....kidding.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home