Wednesday, November 29, 2006

the doctor's advice......


to prevent other cardiovascular diseases and to prevent the exacerbation of my hypertension, Dr. Lapitan advised some lifestyle modifications that i can make.
the first of these, of course, was quitting smoking. i've been a smoker since i was 18....(therefore, for 32 years now!)..... and the doctor said that quitting would be greatly beneficial for the improvement of my health. i responded that i have indeed quit smoking!!!

actually, yesterday was my first smokeless day!!! i have really been thinking of quitting smoking even before i had this hypertension scare. in fact, i tried to quit during the first week of november (but i was successful for only up to 3 days).... because my mistake was i didn't tell anybody about it....i didn't ask for support from people around me..... and so, when i felt anxious and irritated, my actions were misunderstood. because of that, i decided to smoke again and delay my quitting. however, i told myself that that by dec 6... my 50th birthday... i should've quit at least a week already. well, yesterday was a little over than a week before dec 6.....so it was the perfect time.


the doctor praised my resolve to quit... i just hope that i stay the course! to help me quit, i'm taking a chewing gum that contains nicotine, but does not contain the other harmful chemicals and substances found in tobacco smoke. this will ease me out of my withdrawal symptoms from smoking..... later, as i become comfortable without smoking.... then i can lessen my nicotine gum consumption until i stop it altogether..... which then will indicate my having overcome my addiction to nicotine.

another lifestyle modification that my cardiologist suggested was changing the type and kind of food that i eat. he gave me this brochure on "Cholesterol Planning Aid" that i'm sharing here with you. the brochure lists the types of food that are ok to eat; those that could me taken from time to time; and those that should be avoided to help me reduce cholesterol.


yesterday afternoon, from rob's place, we proceeded to the supermarket and bought mommy's groceries. i also bought fruits and veggies, low-fat, high calcium powdered milk, cereal breakfast mix, etc. to start me on my new low fat, low cholesterol diet!!!.... tonight, our dinner was chicken salad on pita bread with fresh lettuce!!! sooooooo delicioso, if i may say so myself!!! hahahahaha

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home